Dé Céadaoin, Márta 11, 2009

Sweet Dreams




It was sometime around this time of year when Marilyn Manson's cover version came out back in 96. I heard the original Eurythmics version last night while driving.

I used to be a Marilyn Manson fan. Everyone my age USED to be a Marilyn Manson fan. The best barometer of character and good judgment within my generation is how long one stayed on the Manson boat before jumping ship. Among those who STILL like Marilyn Manson, I can assure you that every single man and woman among them is saddled with a crippling meth habit, no fewer than three illegitimate children, and at least one borderline felony on their criminal records. Search far and wide for a Manson fan who breaks this rule, you will never find him. There are some who have achieved modest financial stability as construction foremen, but only if everyone else on the crew is a juggalo. That's as good as it gets for the poor bastards.

I have metured I have come to realize that not only is the original "Sweet Dreams" superior to the Manson cover, but that the Eurythmics were a vastly superior band. Annie Lennox affected a more commercial version of Grace Jones' androgynous ice woman thing; and you know what, it was pretty cool.

Of course I couldn't allow myself to like the Eurythmics in 1996. I'm afraid that pubescent males are highly prone to homophobia. The years of ambiguity over whether or not we are MEN leads to all the sorts of foolishness that has been documented to the point of truthful cliche. Give me some credit for being one of those who grew out of it. There are a lot of "men" who buy truck nuts and join the NRA instead.

But I can be hard on myself at times, and though I was a culturally ignorant North Platte boy of fourteen I just can't forgive myself for liking Marilyn Manson. Was I really so young and stupid, such a short time ago? To be so impressed by a skaghead holding down two notes on a keyboard while the singer growled some of his middle school poetry in that fucking ridiculous 'Pit of Dispair' voice of his.

Well, I never did believe the rumors that the man could blow himself, so there's that.

No comments: