Dé Céadaoin, Márta 18, 2009

St. Pat's Notes.

Those who with you "The Luck of the Irish" clearly know nothing about Irish history. You could hardly be worse off if they wished you the luck of the Jews or the luck of the Indians.

It's been said that the Irish are "the Blacks of Europe" and I suppose that they have a decent claim to the title. Though one could say the same thing about anyone with the bad luck of being next door to England, France, Spain, Germany, or Russia. I myself have a smidgen of Irish along with a dab of Polish. Poland was invaded by Hitler and Stalin at the same time once. What the fuck do you know about that Ireland?

Of course, for those who know their history, there is no question that the "Blacks of Europe" title rightfully belongs to the Blacks of Africa.

















Oh but the Irish are rebellious in a non-threatening sort of way, and it's just adorable that they have their own holiday where they can pretend that they haven't been perfectly assimilated for a hundred years.

St. Patrick, by the way, is the patron of my high school Alma mater, which as far as I know is still the dirty, rat-fuck ugly, non-air conditioned place it was when I graduated. But that's neither here or there.

Filled out an official NCAA bracket for the first time in my life today. Kept it conservative. The only "upsets" I have is one 9 over an 8, one 5 over a 4, one 3 over a 2, and one 2 over a one. Louisville over Memphis and Pitt over UNC in the national semis, with Pitt taking the title due to its proximity to Detroit.

That's what I got.

No comments: