Dé Sathairn, Meitheamh 03, 2006

Facing damnation like a man

Some seek connection to mainstream society through religion. This is simply not an option for me, so I choose baseball. This is probably why I can sense the smell of doom permiating Lincoln better than most.

You see, this year's U.N.L. baseball team was supposed to be the chosen one. They started off even better then last year's best-ever team. They swept an Alabama team that won the S.E.C. ; American college baseball's equivalent to La Liga. But woe, at the end of the season, they started to sputter.

Now they have lost the first game ot their own regional tournament. True, the tournament is technically double-elimination. So all we have to do is win four consecutive games in three days and we'll be just fine. Of course, we only have three good unused pitchers left. So that even if everything does go to plan we will probably have to start Joba Chamberlin on two days rest in the last game. Sure, this has been done before; back in the Monty Python handlebar mustache days when 100-pound 30-year-old men would strike out on 70 m.p.h. fastballs.

Now is the time that tries mens souls. I am a Democrat, and no stranger to defeat. I shall accept whatever random fate the universe spits out. But it is sad that, on the one occasion when I ally myself with the jock class, that they choose to fail me. Than again, if we do manage to win four games in three days, please disregard the previous statement.

No comments: