Dé Luain, Iúil 17, 2006

Real Men Have Broken Air Conditioners in July

Brett Meir; profoundly unfunny cartoonist for the Daily Nebraskan, used today's space to try to make us all feel guilty over worrying about the heat instead of feeling the pain of the Middle Easterners. First of all, let me just say that I am keeping up abrest with the war in Isreal/Lebanon. Second of all, fuck you Brett.
You see, my air conditioner broke around the third week of June. I have one of those plastic electric fans from the seventies trying to control the heat. A week ago, when Nebraska was unseasonably cool (in the 80's) the fan was enough. Now that the heat is breaking 100 and will continue to do so for the next week, not so much. My landlord would fix it, but I sort of owe him two hundred dollars.
So I'm functionally homeless from noon to nine p.m. This is the time of day when it's to hot to sit in my apartment naked. During this time I seek refuge in a nice cool library; which complicates my job search and prevents me from being able to pay my landlord. Wih luck, I'll be able to find a job before my student loan check comes at the end of summer, until than, I'm spending my days reading Joseph Conrad and eating ramon noodles. When one s among the less fortunate, it is o.k. to worry more about oneself than other unfortunates.
Fuck you Brett

1 comment:

Dell Ledermann said...

Yeah, the heat can get downright nasty during the summer. It's hard to concentrate when one is all sweaty and fatigued due to the heat. Staying in a cool location is best during the day, since the body isn't made to withstand hot, closed spaces.